My self-diagnosed allergy to citric acid makes it impossible to buy store bought hummus. Plus, when I found out how EASY it is to make your own I wondered why I hadn’t started doing this years ago.
I especially love hummus because it gets me to incorporate more vegetables into my day. This might come as a surprise, but I don’t actually love vegetables. However, I DO love finding sneaky ways to trick myself into enjoying them. I usually eat my hummus with sliced carrots, but choose your favorite veggie or whatever you will actually want to eat every day. Some suggestions: cauliflower, red pepper, cucumber, celery, jicama, cherry tomatoes, zucchini, yellow squash. Better yet – switch up your veggies weekly to incorporate different nutrients into your diet.
YOU WILL NEED:
- 1 can chickpeas - drained
- ¼ cup tahini
- 2 tbsp flaxseed oil – I sub this for traditional olive oil because of its omega-3 benefits
- 1 cup spinach (optional – bulks up your recipe a bit)
- 2 cloves garlic (or 4 if you want to go crazy like me)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tsp cumin
- Cracked black pepper to taste
- If using spinach, add to blender or food processor with your oil and blend (if you have a Vitamix you can blend everything together and use the tamper).
- Add the rest of your ingredients and process until smooth.