Or as I like to call it, the superfood with the weird name. Throw me a consonant and let's make it sound like a real word.
Semantics aside, this powder packs a punch and is known for stabilizing hormones. Maca is an adaptogen, which just means it improves your body's ability to deal with physical or psychological stress, trauma, anxiety and fatigue by supporting the adrenal glands, endocrine system, and thyroid, which overall increases hormone output and the body's immunity. AKA bye mood swings.
BUT WHAT IS IT?
A root vegetable "grows in central Peru in the high plateaus of the Andes Mountains. It has been cultivated as a vegetable crop in this area for at least 3000 years" (source). The root is then dried and ground into a powder. Science.
From the Sunfood website, Maca boasts:
- Calcium which may assist in supporting strong bones
- Magnesium which may contribute to normal bone health and immunity
- Potassium which may help maintain healthy blood pressure in combination with a low sodium diet
- Vitamin B1 which may contribute to mental function and metabolism
- Vitamin B2 which may help regulate metabolism and support normal cell growth
- Vitamin C which may function as an antioxidant as well as contribute to healthy immunity and bone health
- Vitamin E which may function as an antioxidant as well as contribute to healthy immunity and heart health